QAYG Herringbone Quilt

After I finished my Gypsy Wife Quilt top I still had a tonne of 1.5″ strips left over. A friend had requested a quilt for a new niece and believe it or not – I actually think making a quilt our of these was easier that sorting them and storing them! I used Maureen Cracknell’s QAYG Herringbone Quilt tutorial, making the wadding strips 6″. I had to cut a few extra strips but I totally used my stash for this one.

image

This was actually really quick to come together. As I had most of the strips already cut I went on a bit of a piecing frenzy and had it finished in 2 nights. The only thing I am not a fan of is the slightly bulky seams. I am used to using binding strips for QAYG and as I used a fairly light background they did show through a little. It doesn’t matter so much for this quilt but I will probably use the strips next time.

image

One aspect that I love about this quilt is that I found some text fabric with the words “Aunty Ruth” so it is a perfect gift from Aunty Ruth to baby Maggie! Also her brother is in the navy so I had to include some little ships.

image

Quilty Finish #1 for 2015 : Zoe is a gem!

I kinda get really excited when friends who love and appreciate my craftiness fall pregnant. A lovely mothers group friend (mother to Miss E’s bestie) just had her third child – Baby Zoe. Previously I had made them a wedding quilt, a quilt for their son, Miss E helped me make one for her friend – so of course the new baby needed one!

Orignally I was going to work from my stash and do a rainbow quilt but then walking through Spotlight one day when FQs where only $1 I spotted these gorgeous “what a gem” by Alison Cole in navy, pink and green. I immediately feel in love with the bold colours and knew my friend would love them! The Cotton + Steel Arrows were also the perfect pink so it was an excuse to use them! I choose a simple log cabin block and arranged them in a cross pattern.

Untitled

I quilted the navy sections in a diamond echo – mirroring an aspect of the navy fabric, and the White fabrics were quilted with feathers, again mirroring some feathers in the fabric. It made it quite interesting on the back – and probably would be more I impressive if I had added more blocks.

Untitled

It is currently on its way to the new addition. We were a bit bummed that they moved 3.5 hours away but we can’t wait for baby cuddles in a few weeks time!

Also a tick off my Finish A-long list!