QAYG Herringbone Quilt

After I finished my Gypsy Wife Quilt top I still had a tonne of 1.5″ strips left over. A friend had requested a quilt for a new niece and believe it or not – I actually think making a quilt our of these was easier that sorting them and storing them! I used Maureen Cracknell’s QAYG Herringbone Quilt tutorial, making the wadding strips 6″. I had to cut a few extra strips but I totally used my stash for this one.

image

This was actually really quick to come together. As I had most of the strips already cut I went on a bit of a piecing frenzy and had it finished in 2 nights. The only thing I am not a fan of is the slightly bulky seams. I am used to using binding strips for QAYG and as I used a fairly light background they did show through a little. It doesn’t matter so much for this quilt but I will probably use the strips next time.

image

One aspect that I love about this quilt is that I found some text fabric with the words “Aunty Ruth” so it is a perfect gift from Aunty Ruth to baby Maggie! Also her brother is in the navy so I had to include some little ships.

image

Quilty Finish #1 for 2015 : Zoe is a gem!

I kinda get really excited when friends who love and appreciate my craftiness fall pregnant. A lovely mothers group friend (mother to Miss E’s bestie) just had her third child – Baby Zoe. Previously I had made them a wedding quilt, a quilt for their son, Miss E helped me make one for her friend – so of course the new baby needed one!

Orignally I was going to work from my stash and do a rainbow quilt but then walking through Spotlight one day when FQs where only $1 I spotted these gorgeous “what a gem” by Alison Cole in navy, pink and green. I immediately feel in love with the bold colours and knew my friend would love them! The Cotton + Steel Arrows were also the perfect pink so it was an excuse to use them! I choose a simple log cabin block and arranged them in a cross pattern.

Untitled

I quilted the navy sections in a diamond echo – mirroring an aspect of the navy fabric, and the White fabrics were quilted with feathers, again mirroring some feathers in the fabric. It made it quite interesting on the back – and probably would be more I impressive if I had added more blocks.

Untitled

It is currently on its way to the new addition. We were a bit bummed that they moved 3.5 hours away but we can’t wait for baby cuddles in a few weeks time!

Also a tick off my Finish A-long list!

OMG… Make Modern

Well, sometimes things just start with an idea and a bit of confidence. When I saw a call out on Instagram for contributors to the Aussie Make Modern magazine for submission ideas, I took a chance with a quilt I had been playing with in the iPad app Quiltography.

Well it was not only accepted but it made the front cover – there were lots of happy dances around here!

Make Modern Cover Issue Three

It is a digital only mag – available from Jan 1st 2015 – what a happy way to start next year!

 

 

Skill Builder 2014

I was quite fortunate this year to do some pattern testing for Alyssa at Pile O Fabric’s Skill Builder for 2014. I had previously done her 2013 Skill Builder which pretty much taught me how to free motion quilt, so I was mega excited to help out with testing some of the blocks for this years quilt.
image

The theme was “For the Love of Sewing!” and it had some great blocks and techniques. I think my favourite would have to be the folded quilt block using foundation paper piecing.
image

and the book blocks – used some special selvedges there!
image

and the back …

image

I love the quilt as you go method – and adding those sashing strips at the end was a great way to use up scraps of wadding! It is all made using Kona cotton and quilted using Aurifil thread.

Skill Builder BOM 2014 Colours
oh and I cannot wait to do the 2015 one – I will be sewing along with one of my besties who lives on the other side of the country so we will be motivating each other on!